It is important to assess the impact of different team behaviours on the outcomes of Sprints. The purpose of Sprint 3 is to investigate this and this activity on your part will help your team see how different dysfunctional team behaviours impact their effectiveness.
Your Scrum Master will not know what’s going on. Part of their role is to figure it out.
YOUR EYES ONLY SPRINT 3
– until the Sprint 3 Retrospective
– instructions to follow
This optional task should be performed during Sprint 3 and only be revealed during the Sprint 3 retrospective. Feel free to overact and have fun. If you are uncomfortable then don’t worry, this is optional! You are free to opt out.
Please do not reveal your secret mission until the Sprint 3 Retrospective.
Playing The Hero
The Hero takes it upon him or herself to be the saviour. Heroes will often close themselves off to communication with other Team members and hoard work. Heroes often are dismissive of Scrum, because it removes individuals from the spotlight and instead focuses attention and accountability on the Team. Heroes justify their actions by claiming that they are doing what it takes to be successful.
Examples of the Hero Behaviour
- Failure to elaborate on how their work is progressing or what they are doing
- Claiming he or she alone is capable of performing specific work
- Favouring generalities over specifics when discussing anything of substance
- Harsh criticism directed toward others who may draw attention away from the hero
Typical Effects of the Hero
- The Team may actually rely on the Hero, allowing this vocal person to drive outcomes
- Trust on the Team dissolves as Team members become divested of ownership
- Quality suffers as the Hero does not actually meet the Team’s Definition of Done, offering convincing arguments as to why this doesn’t matter
The Sprint 3 Retrospective
At the Sprint 3 Retrospective continue to play the role unless rumbled by your team members! Your mission is a success if you manage to escape detection!
After the Retro we will have a reveal!